Monday, August 25, 2008

Mankind is Noodlekind

I must give "mad props" to my dad for this one. He randomly called to tell me today is the 50th anniversary to the sale of the first instant ramen. I hate to fall into college student stereotypes, but I really do eat a ton of that stuff, and hell if I don't enjoy it, too. I've even made some improvements to the process. Real Actual Things™ I have done:
  • Once ate ramen out of large ziplock bag with tiny hole cut in one corner
  • Once cooked ramen in original plastic packaging using only heat from desk lamp
  • Once left ramen leftovers in pot outside dorm room door for 3 (three) weeks.
That last one probably wasn't my brightest moment, but you get the idea.

That post title up there is a quotation from Momofuku Ando, inventor of instant ramen. As a culinary innovator himself, I think he'd be proud of my tinkering.

No comments: