Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Little Candy Shop of Horrors

Every person who has worked in retail at some point or another has their favorite horror story about the customers they deal with. Mine is less "horror" than "Jesus Christ," but I'll give it a go:

I was re-stocking some candy when three girls walk in. This in-and-of-itself was not strange. They look around, then come over to ask me a question. This, too, was all well within the realm of ordinary. Their question was this:

"How much does your guys' stuff cost?"

I looked more closely, to see if maybe she was indicating some specific "stuff." She wasn't.

"Uh, it sorta depends on what you get. . ." I stammered, looking slightly bewildered.

"Oh, he said it depends on what you get," the lead girl relayed to the other two. The trio moved away to inspect our goods.

My supervisor, who was working at the register where these girls checked out, later told me another story. Apparently, when the girls' merchandise rang up to $4.50, and the girls only had 4 dollars, they said to her: "Wait, it has to be right on?"

Now, say what you will, but there is a very big difference between sub-standard math skills and a basic failure to understand how our entire country functions.

I mean, seriously.

No comments: